Skip to main content

And the rambles continue. . .

April 3rd - that's the day I sat in the doctor's office and listened to her tell me that I had 'Invasive Ductal Carcinoma'.  Jimmy and I were just shocked. There's nothing you can ask or say in a moment like that. She explained that this is not an area of specialty for her so she read the report and then recommended a surgeon that she wanted us to meet with - who would be able to explain more. I drove home - we were in separate cars - and cried and prayed and called my parents who were waiting to hear. I stayed home the rest of the day just trying to figure myself out. The peace of God was definitely there, but there were so many unknowns that we had to work through. I called and scheduled an appointment with the surgeon for the following Monday.
We celebrated Kid#1's 13th birthday that weekend and it's always good to have a busy family weekend to keep your mind off of things. So thankful for my family through all of this!
Monday meeting with the surgeon was a 4:30 appointment. I stopped to pick up my slides from the biopsy, mammogram and ultrasound so that the surgeon could review. He also wanted to do an exam. I have always seen female doctors, so this particular exam was very awkward for us, but he came highly recommended. After the exam, he took us into a conference room and spent the next hour and a half explaining options to us. We learned that the tumor was about 2.5 cm in size and not aggressive. He felt like he would be able to operate and get a clear margin around it - a lumpectomy - but that he wanted me to see an oncologist to review everything in case they recommended other treatments. I have learned so much about cancer now - I'm disappointed in myself for not asking more questions when my mom and mother-in-law dealt with similar situations. They are both doing well after removal of lumps - by the way. I do not have a family history of breast cancer in my family, especially at so young, so we know this is unusual. I have lived an exceedingly blessed life but I know that I am not immune to sickness or rain. God's word never promised that we wouldn't go through things, it promises that He will be with us as we go through things. And He has been with us through this whole journey.
The surgeon refereed us to an oncologist and so we left planning to schedule an appointment. As we talked about what we had learned from the surgeon it became very clear that the Hubs was not comfortable with this surgeon. His mother recommended that we go see the oncologist she had used at MD Anderson so I called and scheduled an appointment with their oncologist and surgeon. It was a completely different experience. Every doctor, nurse and radiologist has been a young woman. They are informative and understanding.  My oncologist has recommended things that she saw her own mother use. Because of my age and the size of the tumor, it was recommended that I use chemotherapy treatment to treat my system. The surgeon did not feel like a lumpectomy was the best course of action but she understands that this would be my preference. We decided to use chemo first to try and shrink the tumor and then see if a lumpectomy would be  possible - before we consider a full mastectomy. None of these things were in my plans. We have prayed for God's healing and believe that He is already at work. Do I understand why there hasn't been immediate healing? No. Do I believe that God could do the miraculous? Yes!  I want to be the one that crazy miraculous things happen to!  More to come. . . the story continues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am a Promise!

I am a Promise! I am a possibility.   I am a Promise,   With a capital 'P'. I am a great, big bundle of potentiality!     And I am learning to hear God's voice. And I am trying to make the right choice. I am a promise to be anything He wants me to be! (My future scientist, artist, engineer and vet are courtesy of the Houston Children's Museum.)

Winter Storm 2011

Well, I think we're going to make it. The threat of 5 inches of snow is now past - and we've not missed a single moment of electricity or heat. The biggest dilemma at our house is that the Xbox won't play right now.  Kid #1 continues to ask "What are we gonna do today?" and we finally answered with "Nothing!" I do need to introduce you to the newest members of the family. . . The two tetras have been around for several years and just got upgraded to a bigger tank. They have now been joined by 2 beautiful guppies and a molly.  None of them have been named yet, but I'm putting in my vote today: the black one should be 'Vader' (as in Darth), and I think the guppies should be Phineas and Ferb.  The tetras would have to be 'Peat' and 'Repeat' since you can't tell the difference between them.  What do you think?  (Which is funny that I ask, because a. you probably won't respond and b. they're not my fish to name) I&

Stupid is as stupid does

Ok, so have you ever had one of those days where things are just messed up?  That was me today. I stayed up too late last night so it was hard to get up this morning.  Had to be at work for an 8:00 meeting and caught EVERY red light between my neighborhood and work.  No big deal, they weren't ready to start when I walked in (with my supervisor) at 8:05.  But, in order to get there even close to 8:00, I skipped making a stop at the gas station to fill up.  I did the math all the way to work - when did the light come on? How many miles had I gone since then?  After work, I planned to stop at the nearest gas station - but, you guessed it, I didn't make it.  Nothing like running out of gas in rush hour traffic! I sat there, embarrassed, trying not to look at the people glaring at me as they passed me - I was stopped just shy of a major intersection.  The Hubs was close by so he came to my rescue - but my car keeps the radio and lights running for 10 minutes after you turn it off un