Skip to main content

In between

     I remember the feeling very vividly. . . I was on a fifteen passenger church van with some other teens for a Bible Quiz trip.  There was wrestling and playing around involved (why weren't we buckled?!) and I fell to the floor, on my back, beneath the seats. It was overwhelming!  I had to get up and quick! In the same van, on the same trip, the only thing that had changed was my perspective - and panic set in.  What a miserable feeling to feel stuck in between those high van seats.
     What is it about the "in between" that makes us so nervous? In between jobs, in between projects, in between point A and point B.  I know it's the questions and doubts: How long will it take? How bad will it be before I get there?  From mountain top to mountain top - how deep does this valley go? Or from valley to valley, what obstacle will I have to climb? Can I hold out for that next thing? What if I never get there?
   A few weeks ago, I taught on "What to Expect When You're Expecting".  How we are all faced with things while we are waiting for that next thing.  We're going to face frustrations.  We're going to want to quit.  People will have opinions. But the "in between" is up to us.  What we do with it.  How we see it. How we carry ourselves while we are waiting.
    Some of us are worriers.  Some of us overcompensate the unknown by trying to control anything and everything else we can. Some of us wallow in the misery and whine and complain so that everyone gets to "enjoy" the journey with us. Some of us set our course  and plow through. This morning, I read Phillippians 4:6-7 "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus."
    That's a great reminder - that He is still here.  Ever the Father ready to take hold, or never really letting go, and gently reminding "I gotcha".  On the same road, in the same shoes - it's just your perspective that has changed. But you're not alone in the "in between". . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am a Promise!

I am a Promise! I am a possibility.   I am a Promise,   With a capital 'P'. I am a great, big bundle of potentiality!     And I am learning to hear God's voice. And I am trying to make the right choice. I am a promise to be anything He wants me to be! (My future scientist, artist, engineer and vet are courtesy of the Houston Children's Museum.)

Tea for two!

Once upon a time, two ladies prepared for tea.  The smallest of the two played the part of hostess and laid out her fine china. Many lovely delicacies were brought out with the tea. The two ladies were dressed in their finest jewels and had their hair adorned in the most becoming way. Their dainty pink purses hung across their dainty arms. They gathered young babies and fed them with great care.  The babes were cleaned, bathed and put to nap in the cozy beds nearby. The two ladies were having such a grand time that they decided to invite others to join them in their tea.   The gentlemen neighbors were promptly invited to tea, but alas, they had a prior engagement (helping small frogs jump across the road).  Upon returning to their tea, the ladies met an unfortunate circumstance! They were attacked by a flock of angry birds!  The prettiest little lady adamantly declared "there's no angry birds having tea!" When the two ladies were safely seated back at their tea table,

Winter Storm 2011

Well, I think we're going to make it. The threat of 5 inches of snow is now past - and we've not missed a single moment of electricity or heat. The biggest dilemma at our house is that the Xbox won't play right now.  Kid #1 continues to ask "What are we gonna do today?" and we finally answered with "Nothing!" I do need to introduce you to the newest members of the family. . . The two tetras have been around for several years and just got upgraded to a bigger tank. They have now been joined by 2 beautiful guppies and a molly.  None of them have been named yet, but I'm putting in my vote today: the black one should be 'Vader' (as in Darth), and I think the guppies should be Phineas and Ferb.  The tetras would have to be 'Peat' and 'Repeat' since you can't tell the difference between them.  What do you think?  (Which is funny that I ask, because a. you probably won't respond and b. they're not my fish to name) I&