Skip to main content

Milestones

During this whole 'journey', there have been some challenges and some victories. At one point, I received Dodie Osteen's book "Healed of Cancer".  I dug into it very quickly and have highlighted these 40 scriptures that she used - they have become my own.  I have them printed out and on index cards.  It's amazing how much the Word has been a source.  My favorite scripture is Jeremiah 30:17 that says 'I will restore your health and heal your wounds, says The Lord". I have quoted that many times over the last few months.  Especially when my hands and feet were numb or when I was feeling queasy.  My prayer when I started this was that I would not look tired and sick.  I did not want my children to have to see me in the worst of the worst.  I did not want to look sick.  Thankfully, although I have felt sick many, many times, I have not really looked sick.  I did lose my hair.  It began to fall out two days after my second chemo treatment.  My scalp was so tender and I could barely run my fingers through my hair without having a handful of hair left in my hand.  I was surprised at how quickly it happened.  I noticed it on a Saturday evening and I was still able to wash and style my hair for Sunday church. But Monday morning, I washed it but couldn't dry it so I wore it with gel and curly to work that day.  The next day, I was afraid to get it wet because it would fill the bathtub drain, so I wore a scarf to work.  That afternoon, The Hubs met me at a wig shop and we picked out a wig.  That was not fun. I wanted something a little different (shorter looked better and I felt would transition better for a hairstyle change). They offered to shave my head that day, but I wasn't mentally ready then. By Friday, I was sick of losing hair so I went in and had it shaved down with an 8 - leaving about 1-1/2 inches of hair.  It changed textures completely when I was no longer about to really use hair product or blow-dry.  It looked gray and flat against my head.  A month later, I had my sister help to shave the rest of it off.  My mom was there too and wondered if I was traumatized by it, but I had already been dealing with the 'trauma' for a while so it actually made things a little easier.  I have not enjoyed wearing the wig as much as I thought I might.  It's not uncomfortable, just gets old. Scarves and hats are more comfortable to wear but I'm not completely comfortable with wearing these out very often. I don't really get stares just sort of pity-looks.
   At one point, my boss gave me a book she had seen on Oprah with the author called "Silver Linings."  I really enjoyed reading this one - written by a woman who was a hospice nurse that was diagnozed with breast cancer around age 39.  She gives practical wisdom along with medical wisdom and each chapter ends with a list of the silver linings that she looked for and found.  What's funny is that I had already done a similar exercise for each stage.  You can't help but look for the good in things that you have no control over.  Otherwise, the heaviness can be overwhelming. So, although I hated losing my hair, I definitely enjoyed shaving 25+ minutes off of my get ready time in the mornings. And not having to shave my legs or anything over the summer was nice.  I did miss a lot of summertime fun activities but then I didn't have to look for an excuse to not go out in my swimsuit. It's all in how you look at things! Since my treatments happened every other week for 4 months, we got a pretty good feel for what would happen when and how to deal with it.  I have to say, my kids and my husband were real troopers!  I also had incredible support from family, neighbors and church people who brought food and drove kids to activities. I was able to step back from a lot of responsibilities at church and hand them off to able-bodied and willing leaders - probably something I should have done months/years before.  It was nice to be able to count down - like 'I've done 3 out of 8 treatments', 'I've done 7 out of 8 treatments'. I was completely done before the last one.  We did another ultrasound just before the 8th and final treatment - it did not show significant change in the size of the tumor.  I was very much aware of the the size from the first ultrasound.  I saw the black spot in the middle of the screen and I watch the ultrasound tech measure it. So, lying there watching the same thing months later after enduring so much medicine and iv's and blood checks, I was done. I called and left messages asking to not have to complete the last treatment.  I told people I was not doing anymore.  I got to the oncologist's office the day before my scheduled treatment and had already discussed with a nurse over the phone that I would probably be required to complete it.  I was an emotional mess. I cried the day before. At work. At home. I cried in the office with the oncologist. I cried in the car on the way home.  The dread of having to do it again was just more than I could handle. But I did it. All 8 chemo treatments. I got to ring the bell when it was done, with nurses gathered around cheering with me. I told them 'thank you' but I hoped that I never see them again. They were very kind, but I am ready to turn the page on this chapter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am a Promise!

I am a Promise! I am a possibility.   I am a Promise,   With a capital 'P'. I am a great, big bundle of potentiality!     And I am learning to hear God's voice. And I am trying to make the right choice. I am a promise to be anything He wants me to be! (My future scientist, artist, engineer and vet are courtesy of the Houston Children's Museum.)

Tea for two!

Once upon a time, two ladies prepared for tea.  The smallest of the two played the part of hostess and laid out her fine china. Many lovely delicacies were brought out with the tea. The two ladies were dressed in their finest jewels and had their hair adorned in the most becoming way. Their dainty pink purses hung across their dainty arms. They gathered young babies and fed them with great care.  The babes were cleaned, bathed and put to nap in the cozy beds nearby. The two ladies were having such a grand time that they decided to invite others to join them in their tea.   The gentlemen neighbors were promptly invited to tea, but alas, they had a prior engagement (helping small frogs jump across the road).  Upon returning to their tea, the ladies met an unfortunate circumstance! They were attacked by a flock of angry birds!  The prettiest little lady adamantly declared "there's no angry birds having tea!" When the two ladies were safely seated back at their tea table,

Winter Storm 2011

Well, I think we're going to make it. The threat of 5 inches of snow is now past - and we've not missed a single moment of electricity or heat. The biggest dilemma at our house is that the Xbox won't play right now.  Kid #1 continues to ask "What are we gonna do today?" and we finally answered with "Nothing!" I do need to introduce you to the newest members of the family. . . The two tetras have been around for several years and just got upgraded to a bigger tank. They have now been joined by 2 beautiful guppies and a molly.  None of them have been named yet, but I'm putting in my vote today: the black one should be 'Vader' (as in Darth), and I think the guppies should be Phineas and Ferb.  The tetras would have to be 'Peat' and 'Repeat' since you can't tell the difference between them.  What do you think?  (Which is funny that I ask, because a. you probably won't respond and b. they're not my fish to name) I&