Skip to main content

The Great Return

I can't believe my last post was over a year ago! How has it been so long?  Why did I stop writing? I could make all kinds of excuses - surgeries, recovery, kids, mobile church, laundry, etc. But, I really think the only answer is. . . I just felt like I had nothing to say. I am an introvert by nature. On the DISC scale, I am an S/C with very little D/I. I will work behind the scenes and not think twice about it.  But, I married a high D and as pastors, it is difficult to operate behind the scenes only and lead at the same time. Sometimes I have to be reminded that I do have things to say and share. So, share I must.  When I started this blog, I was feeling the effects of working all the time and lacking a creative outlet.  When I was given my diagnosis and started the treatment plan, all 'extra' things just went out the window and we focused on surviving and maintaining. It's been 2-1/2 years since the diagnosis, almost 2 years since my mastectomy and almost 2 years since my hair started growing back. I am back to working full time, keeping up with kids activities and serving in the ministry in every way that I can. My goal while healing was to not allow myself to get to the uptight, wound-up, stressed, over-worked, wrung out place that I was in when I found out I had breast cancer.  I remember driving home from work and just feeling an all over anxiety and an ever-present need to rush, rush, rush. I am busy again, but this time, it's different. I don't let those things stress me out the same way that I did. Traffic is still traffic. We still have to be in 3 different places at once sometimes, but none of it is world-ending if we are late, or miss something.  And I am so THANKFUL to be in that place! I had someone ask me when I was bald from chemo, would I take some pictures - and my answer at the time was NO WAY! I did not want to remember that mess.  But now, I look back to where we were and how things felt and there are people that have no idea what we went through. It is a miracle that people can't see the effects on me - that was my prayer, honestly. For a while, that rocked my emotional world though - because I knew that I was changed (physically, emotionally, mentally) and I knew that there had been struggle and suffering - but what people see is that I am well and 'normal'.  I think I will always refer back to this time to give honor and remember what the Lord did for me, for us!  Now, I want to reflect back on it! All of that to say, my 'silence' is broken and I will challenge myself to pour out again in this way. Funny stories? Maybe. Spiritual lessons? Hopefully. Kid memories? Probably.  It is what it is - it's my blog and I'll write what I want!  Happy reading. . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am a Promise!

I am a Promise! I am a possibility.   I am a Promise,   With a capital 'P'. I am a great, big bundle of potentiality!     And I am learning to hear God's voice. And I am trying to make the right choice. I am a promise to be anything He wants me to be! (My future scientist, artist, engineer and vet are courtesy of the Houston Children's Museum.)

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. . .

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I wrote a blog. Posts were few and far between at best. I was working 40+ hours a week at a job. There were 3 children at home with various activities and none were driving so taxiing was my side hustle (unpaid, grueling hours). The Hubs was working 50-60 hours a week pioneering a church and starting a side business. So much has changed since the last post, that I contemplated scrapping it all and starting fresh.  Or should I?   Always a challenge to get all my words out, I hesitate to even write this one. But I will provide a catch-up for history's sake... Kid #1 is graduated and trying to be a grown-up on his own in a different city.  College courses, which are mostly online because of the big 'C', working almost full time and a girlfriend keep him pretty busy, but not too busy to call his mama every few days.  Especially when the bank account is low.  Kid #2 is finishing up his last year of high school and living his best life

Tea for two!

Once upon a time, two ladies prepared for tea.  The smallest of the two played the part of hostess and laid out her fine china. Many lovely delicacies were brought out with the tea. The two ladies were dressed in their finest jewels and had their hair adorned in the most becoming way. Their dainty pink purses hung across their dainty arms. They gathered young babies and fed them with great care.  The babes were cleaned, bathed and put to nap in the cozy beds nearby. The two ladies were having such a grand time that they decided to invite others to join them in their tea.   The gentlemen neighbors were promptly invited to tea, but alas, they had a prior engagement (helping small frogs jump across the road).  Upon returning to their tea, the ladies met an unfortunate circumstance! They were attacked by a flock of angry birds!  The prettiest little lady adamantly declared "there's no angry birds having tea!" When the two ladies were safely seated back at their tea table,