Skip to main content

Sometimes we can't see

I tend to spend a lot more time on social media than I would like to. It's a sort of unwind method, or distraction. But I've noticed a lot more lately that when my family is talking to me, I will respond, but I do it with my head down and phone in hand, scrolling. **CRINGE** So I've started questioning myself as to why I am so drawn to it. I think it has a lot to do with wanting to be SEEN, to be noticed, to be extraordinary at something.  I like to try to be funny - and succeed sometimes. And then I wait for approval from people. Who will notice, like, or respond to my little blurb? Who will validate me? And then there's the frustration of reading a passive aggressive post from people about issues that they shouldn't bring up on public forums, and the dreaded comparison game after seeing someone's new dress, weight loss, manicured yard and so on. . . Really it's pretty dumb.  But why is it easier for us to face the screen than it is to face people?  I took my car to get the oil changed the other day and while I was waiting, I sat with 6-7 other people, all on their phones. Even in the car, I'll look back and see my kids all with their heads down on their phones - and I'm just as guilty.  So what do we do?  How do we change this?  Maybe taking extra time to tell people how we feel.  Maybe looking my kids in the eyes and asking questions that are deeper than "How was your day?"  A smile or a nod to a stranger, noticing the cashier and asking about them. Taking an interest in other people - because if I'm feeling like I want to be seen or noticed - then most people are likely feeling that way too.  Sure, there is a time to 'veg' and we do have business to take care of, but when that comes before the people that matter most (all people, not just my favorite Davidsons), then there's an issue.  1 John 4:20 says "If someone says, "I love God,' but hates a fellow believer, that person is a liar; for if we don't love people we can see, how can we love God, whom we cannot see?"    And 1 Peter 4:8 says "Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins."

Lord help me to see people, including my family, in a new way.  Help me to remember how deeply we all want to be 'seen' and acknowledged. Help us to lean less on the need for recognition from others and lean MORE on Your attention and affection.  Forgive us for not loving people the way you would have us love.  We want to please You most of all! In Jesus' name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am a Promise!

I am a Promise! I am a possibility.   I am a Promise,   With a capital 'P'. I am a great, big bundle of potentiality!     And I am learning to hear God's voice. And I am trying to make the right choice. I am a promise to be anything He wants me to be! (My future scientist, artist, engineer and vet are courtesy of the Houston Children's Museum.)

Tea for two!

Once upon a time, two ladies prepared for tea.  The smallest of the two played the part of hostess and laid out her fine china. Many lovely delicacies were brought out with the tea. The two ladies were dressed in their finest jewels and had their hair adorned in the most becoming way. Their dainty pink purses hung across their dainty arms. They gathered young babies and fed them with great care.  The babes were cleaned, bathed and put to nap in the cozy beds nearby. The two ladies were having such a grand time that they decided to invite others to join them in their tea.   The gentlemen neighbors were promptly invited to tea, but alas, they had a prior engagement (helping small frogs jump across the road).  Upon returning to their tea, the ladies met an unfortunate circumstance! They were attacked by a flock of angry birds!  The prettiest little lady adamantly declared "there's no angry birds having tea!" When the two ladies were safely seated back at their tea table,

Winter Storm 2011

Well, I think we're going to make it. The threat of 5 inches of snow is now past - and we've not missed a single moment of electricity or heat. The biggest dilemma at our house is that the Xbox won't play right now.  Kid #1 continues to ask "What are we gonna do today?" and we finally answered with "Nothing!" I do need to introduce you to the newest members of the family. . . The two tetras have been around for several years and just got upgraded to a bigger tank. They have now been joined by 2 beautiful guppies and a molly.  None of them have been named yet, but I'm putting in my vote today: the black one should be 'Vader' (as in Darth), and I think the guppies should be Phineas and Ferb.  The tetras would have to be 'Peat' and 'Repeat' since you can't tell the difference between them.  What do you think?  (Which is funny that I ask, because a. you probably won't respond and b. they're not my fish to name) I&